The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

VYPE U: West Brook baseball proves naysayers wrong

May 10, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Third baseman Braedon Bland prepares to hit the ball as first baseman Griffin Cansler waits to take second base.

Photo by: Katherine Glaude

Photo by: Katherine Glaude

Photo by: Katherine Glaude

After six years, the West Brook baseball team made it to the playoffs. With an overall 20-10 recond, the team clinched a spot out of District 22-6A. The 2018 season was a year for the Bruin baseball team.

“ I know people have [negative] opinions on the baseball team,” second baseman Cal Fulton said. “But [the baseball team] is not here to just step on the field and lose. We’re here to win.”

At the last home game of the regular season, the Bruins defeated the Pasadena Eagles with a 5-1 score. Pitcher Kolin Powell nearly pitched a complete game. Center fielder Cole McConnell and shortstop Tyler Sterling score two runs each while Fulton had one run. With this win, the team became the fourth seed from 22-6A Region III playoffs.

“There is no other baseball like playoff baseball,” Sterling said. “[We played] every game like it was our last.”

Not only was participating in playoffs an athletic achievement, but also an emotional one. Returning starters have been working on ending the playoffs drought. The district record slowly ascended, from only winning two games to winning nine. The team believed in not only each other but also the coaches that their hard work would payoff.

“It’s been [very] special to make it to the playoffs,” Fulton said. “I’m very proud of [the team] and how hard we worked.”

Sadly, the Bruins were defeated in the first round of the playoffs by the Kingwood Mustangs. The Bruins lost in a tough first game losing 26-3. Left fielder Brock Hall accounted for two of the Bruins’ runs while first baseman Griffin Cansler scored once. In the second game, McConnell, Sterling, and Fulton helped West Brook jump on top with three runs, but it wasn’t enough as the third-ranked Kingwood eliminated the Bruins, 10-4.

“[Kingwood] was a very hard team,” catcher Luke Mason said. “But we’re getting a lot better. We changed everyone’s mind about [our] baseball team.”

Original Story:

http://vype.com/setx/2018/05/09/vype-u-west-brook-baseball-proves-naysayers-wrong/