The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

The Latest and Greatest in Beauty

January 3, 2018

Victoria's Glamour achieves this holographic eyeliner look by cutting and applying reflective paper.

Many people use makeup as a means of expression, or a form of art. They are inspired by new makeup products and begin new makeup trends. These innovative makeup products are a big hit with makeup artists and have changed the makeup industry.

Holographic lip gloss, highlighter, and eye shadow are a popular trend this year. Many makeup brands have released products for holographic lovers, from Kat Von D’s alchemist highlighting palette, Milk Cosmetics Holographic stick, and Sigma Beauty Holographic Lip Switch. This futuristic beauty trend is all over social media and even editorial shoots. The light-reflective properties of holographic makeup work on many skin tones and catch many eyes. 

More brands are releasing holographic products from high-end to drugstore. Makeup artist have also been inspired by this new trend and have given their makeup a new twist. Holographic eyeliner is an example. To achieve this, MUA’s cut out a piece of reflective paper and glue it on as eyeliner.

Another favorite is highlighter. It is used to highlight the high points of your face and give a glowy finish. It can come as a pressed powder, a loose powder, and even as a cream. Apply a light coat on your cheekbones for a subtle look or apply powder highlighter on top of liquid highlighter for a more blinding effect.

Pigmented highlighters to try are Becca’s Champagne Pop Pressed Powder, Rodeo Drive by Ofra, and Laura Geller Gilded Honey. For a more affordable glow, Wet & Wild’s highlighters are sold for $5 available online and other locations.

Sometimes little is more and natural makeup looks can be the way to go. A bit of mascara and a clear gloss is one of the simpler solutions to getting ready if you don’t have much time.

As time passes new products will take over in the makeup industry. Makeup trends might last one season and others could last for more. However, new products will keep releasing, inspiring the creative minds of many.