The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

A Game to Remember

October 12, 2017

Kicker Jesus Alfaro scores an extra point against C.E. King on Sept. 15.

Photo by Kalie Smith

Photo by Kalie Smith

On September 15, the West Brook football team took the field for the first time in the 2017 season against C.E. King. This broke the 40-year-old tradition of the Beaumont Bowl.

“The game was sad, but it was to not have to worry about what happened,” quarterback L’Ravien Elia said. “When you’re on the field you only think about the game.”

Hurricane Harvey delayed the school year and the football season for two weeks. The Bruins’ game versus Central was cancelled and another against Ozen turned into a scrimmage. This is the first time West Brook has played a non-BISD school to start the regular season.

“Not many of the players had damaged houses so overall the team is doing pretty good,” cornerback Steven Jones said. “We just had to start faster; everything is coming faster.”

The Bruins practiced in East Chambers for the first week back after Hurricane Harvey. Players only had about a week and a half to prepare for the C.E. King game. However, football was not their only focus.

“We’ve pulled up flooring and pulled down walls at some of the cheerleaders’ houses,” wide receiver Bralin Simon said. “We also went to a few grandparents’ houses.”

Players were seen around Beaumont assisting in the recovery process. Some handed out water and others helped clean up. One player and his mom took in six of his teammates.

“We brought them in because they needed a place to wash their clothes,” offensive center Kendall Major said. “It was definitely different going from two people in the house to eight.”

Ms. Major, a teacher at West Brook, and her son, Kendall Major, live outside of Beaumont and still had water after Harvey. They took in six players who didn’t have water.

“When it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, you need positivity,” football Coach Peevey said. “High school football in the state of Texas just does something that’s unbelieveable.”