West Brook Times

College Overview: Lamar University

Jacob Bennett, Staff Writer

History

Lamar University, located in Beaumont, started as South Park Junior College in 1923. In 1932, its name was changed to Lamar College, after the 2nd president of the Republic of Texas, Mirabeau B. Lamar. Lamar was declared a university in 1971. Lamar began branching out to Port Arthur and Orange. These branches, however, became completely separate entities from the original. Lamar University teaches over 15,000 students studying  various fields there. Lamar University is also one of the fastest growing colleges in Texas, according to their website.

Athletics

Lamar University is a D1 college. The football program was reinstated in 2010, where a talented team has been growing for the past couple years. In basketball, the team has had ups and downs, but has NCAA tournament experiences as early as 2011. The baseball team is coached is coached by Jim Gilligan, a nationally revered coach who is in the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame. He has had over 44 years of experience with the team, which he started coaching in 1973. He is accredited with over 1000 wins, and is considered one of the most winning coaches in NCAA history. The mascot of Lamar University, Big Red, also attends to almost every athletic event.

Engineering

With so many plants in range of the university, it is not surprising that Lamar University offers an engineering program. Over 1200 students major in this field, and Lamar is one of the top ten universities in average income after graduation in the country for engineering, according to the Washington Post.

Other Programs

Lamar University is also known for other programs. Lamar is nationally ranked in Nursing, Business, Education, and Audiology fields, according to a US News ranking system on their website.

LIT

The Lamar Institution of Technology (LIT) is two-year community college, where students go for two-year degrees, or for a chance to get into a larger universities. LIT originates from the beginning of Lamar University in 1923. In a 2014 study conducted by EMSI, graduates from this community college are responsible for $144.2 million of income coming into Southeast Texas.

For more information about Lamar University, visit their website at www.lamar.edu or call their number at 409-880-7011.

1 Comment

One Response to “College Overview: Lamar University”

1. Joseph Raymer on October 16th, 2017 11:11 am

Very good article, I learned a lot. England is my city

• News

West Brook @ Channelview

• News

West Brook vs Beaumont United

• News

West Brook @ C.E. King

• News

West Brook vs Houston Lamar

• News

West Brook @ Strake Jesuit

• News

West Brook vs Bellaire

• College Overview: Lamar University

News

A New Change To The BISD Calendar

• College Overview: Lamar University

Features

BISD Paid-Tutoring Program

• College Overview: Lamar University

News

Choir Sings Their Hearts Out at Pre-Area

• College Overview: Lamar University

News

Exemptions: A Lost Hope