The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

The Aftermath: What you need to know after Hurricane Harvey

September 7, 2017

Buckets Aplenty: Buckets donated to the Greater Beaumont Chamber of Commerce containing cleaning supplies were distributed to members of the community on Sept. 6. Photo courtesy of the Greater Beaumont Chamber of Commerce.

Hurricane Harvey struck near Corpus Christi, Texas, on Aug. 25. In the days that followed, Harvey brought record-breaking rain to the Texas Gulf Coast. Communities in Southeast Texas, such as Bevil Oaks and Port Arthur, were considered inaccessible due to rising floodwaters. Our thoughts are not only with the Bruins who have been affected by Harvey, but with Southeast Texas as a whole. As a result, we have gathered information relating to where the community can find assistance, volunteer, and updates about school closures.

When does school start?

BISD hopes to start the school year on Sept. 11; a definite decision is expected by Sept. 7.

Where can I find food, water, and supplies?

Nonprofit organizations, such as the Greater Beaumont Chamber of Commerce, have distributed supplies in recent days. Below is a list of places residents can find food, water, and other supplies on Sept. 7.

• City of Beaumont “Points of Distribution” will operate from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  •       Babe Zaharias Stadium (2445 Concord Rd.)                                                                             
  •       Ozen High School (3443 Fannett Rd.)                                                                                                            
  •       West Brook High School (8750 Phelan Blvd.)
  • The Southeast Texas Food Bank (3845 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Pky.), from noon to 3 pm.
  • Cathedral in the Pines Church (2350 Eastex Fwy.), from 5 p.m.
  • Golden Triangle Harvey Distribution Center  (1490 N. 7th St.) from 1 p.m.
  • Salvation Army mobile kitchens (times of operation may vary)
  •        Alice Keith Park (4050 Reed St.)                                                                                                              
  •        Beaumont Athletic Complex  (950 Langham Rd)                                                                            
  •        Burlington Shopping Center  (6480 Eastex Fwy.)                                                                                        
  •        Village Shopping Center (4875 Concord St.)

How can I help?

• According to its Facebook page, the Humane Society of Southeast Texas accepts monetary donations
  • The City of Beaumont Animal Care is also accepting pet supplies and suggests those who wish to donate contact a staff member (they can be reached through their Facebook page) to identify what is needed.
  • The Southeast Texas Food Bank seeks volunteers for “Box Assembly,” a project aimed toward filling boxes with food and supplies, on the mornings of Sept. 8 and Sept 9. These boxes will be donated to families impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
  • Neighbors Emergency Center is collecting personal hygiene items, along with food and cleaning supplies, at all of its locations.

Where can I find more information?

• The Beaumont Enterprise publishes information on water damage, where to find lost pets, and school closures. These updates can be found on their website.
  • SETX Flooding, Road, and School Closures is one of several public Facebook groups where members can find volunteer and donation opportunities in a public-forum type space
  • Local news station KFDM also shares information regarding school closures, running water service, and flood damage on its website and mobile app.
  • The City of Beaumont Facebook page shares updates about city services, including public library opening hours and water distribution details.