The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

What is Astrology?

December 5, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

What is Astrology?

Lila Christopher(11) shows off her zodiac sign.

By Maleena Bennett

By Maleena Bennett

By Maleena Bennett

Astrology is the ancient study of the movements and positions of the sun, moon, planets, and stars in the belief they affect the character and lives of people. The first step in learning Astrology is determining your zodiac sign. This is where the sun was located in the zodiac at the time of your birth. Each of the 12 astrological/zodiac signs has its own set of personality traits, strengths and weaknesses, and compatibility with other signs.

For many years there has been an ongoing debate as to whether astrology is believable or not, with many people firmly believing in the ways of astrology. Junior Lila Christopher said that she first started learning about astrology from posts on Tumblr and Twitter.

“What makes me think that it could be true is that most days it is very accurate with the circumstances I am going through.” Christopher said. “I like astrology because I like learning about myself in different ways.”

While other students also once believed in the ways of astrology, they began to see the flaws within it. With access to horoscopes and websites dedicated to zodiac signs, people who are intrigued by astrology are able to read about their sign on a daily basis. Junior Coye Nolan said that he would look on Twitter all the time and read things about his sign, Capricorn, and fully relate to the posts. But, once he started to learn more about his sign his views began to change.

“I actually went a whole month basing my life off of my horoscope and reading it in the morning, but it turned out not to be as good as I thought it would be.” Nolan said. “At the end of the month, I realized it wasn’t worth following.”

On the other hand there are many students who have never believed in astrology or any of the things that come along with it.

“I don’t believe in astrology because I don’t think your birthday determines what happens in your life.” said student Ruthie Miller. “I think people believe in it because they think that it’s cool that they have their own sign. I’m a Leo and I’ve read that they are crazy and party a lot, and I don’t think that is me at all.”

While this ongoing debate over the truth of astrology and its signs may never truly be solved, there are many students who knew nothing about astrology but are interested in learning what it is all about and why so many people are invested in it. Junior Cameron Simpson said that he sees it all over social media and wants to be able to understand the things it says about his sign.

“I don’t know anything about astrology at all, but I would like to learn about it in the future, it sounds pretty interesting.” Simpson said. “Knowing about my zodiac sign isn’t going to affect how I feel about myself though, because I’m going to be me at the end of the day.”