The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

Be Respectful and Verbalize Equality

October 17, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Be Respectful and Verbalize Equality

Seniors Ariana Teate and Aniyah Walker hold a candle for bullying victims.

By Sarah Hamilton

By Sarah Hamilton

By Sarah Hamilton

B.R.A.V.E. is an anti-bullying organization made to uplift students and eradicate negativity on campus. The club shares its overall message with the motto “Be Respectful And Verbalize Equality.” Every fall, B.R.A.V.E. officers and members put together The B.R.A.V.E. Rally, an event where different clubs and organizations around West Brook perform to show their resistance to bullying.

By attending the rally, students can learn exactly what bullying is, and how it affects students in our school. The many musical performances and poetry readings helped students understand the struggle of bullying from a variety of perspectives.

Senior Autumn Cunningham shared an original poem that shared an experience of bullying from the point of view of a victim alongside the vocal performances by senior Trey Turner and junior Charlie Rey. The B.R.A.V.E. Rally also consisted of a skit by the varsity cheer team, a kick routine by some of the Stars and a collection of songs performed by the Jazz Band. The Rally was followed by a candlelight vigil with the purpose of remembering those affected by disrespect and social inequality. Of those who attended the rally, the candlelight vigil was received as a special moment, instilling a feeling of togetherness.

“The purpose of the Rally is to publicize anti-bullying and social equality,” treasurer Graziel Hinola said, “We want to honor the victims of bullying.”

All students are welcome to join B.R.A.V.E., those who have been bullied and those who were the bullies and are looking for a clean slate. The Rally is also open to all students, including those who are not in the club.

The B.R.A.V.E. sponsor, Mr. Chilton, encourages students to join B.R.A.V.E. for the helpful life lessons he’s seen in past members, “I’ve seen students definitely be more assertive when it comes to speaking out about injustices they see around the school and in their community at large,” Chilton said. “It’s a group of people they might not associate with normally, but since they’re all sharing the same passion for B.R.A.V.E., that kind of allows them to see they have more friends than they thought they had.”

Many of the B.R.A.V.E. officers have been members of the club for years and are continuing their fight against bullying by pursuing a bigger role in the organization. Officers and other courageous leaders conducted the B.R.A.V.E. Rally by speaking and introducing the performances.

“My goal for B.R.A.V.E. is for it to be an inclusive club that everyone’s in and everyone knows what it is at school,” Vice President Ahmed Rehman said, “B.R.A.V.E. can actually help people stop bullying and see that it’s a bad thing.”

“I went to the B.R.A.V.E. Rally because I believe bullying is not okay,” junior Farhan Shahid said. “The B.R.A.V.E. Rally was an event where many people got to come together and speak out against bullying.”