The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

The Real St. Nick

December 14, 2017

The real St. Nick was a bishop of Myra, and wasn't from the North Pole. Photo courtesy of Catholic Culture.

When people hear the name Saint Nick, they usually think of a big guy driving a sleigh with flying reindeer. However, most people don’t know the real story of the true Saint Nicholas.

Saint Nicholas was a just a boy when his parents died. They left him a great sum of money, and he went to live with his uncle, who was a priest. Nicholas grew up and committed his life to God, and began helping people in huge ways. One story tells of how three sisters and a father couldn’t afford a dowry, so the sisters could not get married. This would mean that they would be sold to slavery. However, on three separate occasions, the family would find bags filled with gold seemingly coming out of nowhere. Of course, the gold came from Nicholas. He wanted to keep this a secret, as he was a humble man and didn’t give for adoration. He gave so other people could be happy, and to fulfill his commitment to the Lord.

Saint Nicholas became a bishop of Myra in the third century, and became very popular among the people. This led to his teachings and legends of him to spread far and wide. The name Santa Claus comes from what the country of Holland refers to him as. This name they gave him was Sinterklass, which sounds like Santa Claus. Martin Luther named him the Christ Child, or Christkindl in German, which sounds somewhat like the name Kriss Kringle, another name associated with Santa Claus. Saint Nicholas has his own holiday recognized by the Catholic Church, which is December 6. Nearly 400 churches were made for him, and he is considered one of the most popular saints.