The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

“Deep in the Heart of Christmas”

December 14, 2017

STARS' Military Officers, Madison Mullenix, Madi Moore, Grace Bridges, Angel Powell, and Brissa Puente, finish their hard-hitting dance at

STARS' Military Officers, Madison Mullenix, Madi Moore, Grace Bridges, Angel Powell, and Brissa Puente, finish their hard-hitting dance at "Deep in the Heart of Christmas".

By Katherine Glaude

By Katherine Glaude

On Dec. 8, parents, students, and hopeful young girls gathered in the West Brook Performing Arts Center to kick off the Christmas season.

“Deep in the Heart of Christmas is only five years old but it’s already such a tradition,” STARS’ captain Brissa Puente said. “People look forward to watching it every year.”

The Stars’ model “Deep in the Heart of Christmas” after the Radio City Rockettes’ Christmas Spectacular. Their opener includes the eye level kicks the Rockettes are famous for. The closure, however, is reminiscent of the Stars’ famous high kick.

“Everyone has a different influence and style but we all want people to be uplifted with Christmas music,” Puente said. “We want the audience to have a smile while watching.”

There are twelve dances in the show. Only two of them are choreographed by the directors, Ms. Lauren Summers and Mrs. Tisha Smith. The remaining ten are choreographed by the officers. Each military officer is given a group of girls they are in charge of and performs with in the show. However, the captain is slightly different. She choreographs the military officers’ dance. Social officers also have their own dance. It is choreographed by the. Social officers also choreographed the kids’ clinic dance.

“It was so nice working with kids who dream of being on Stars,” Puente said. “We got the chance to help them achieve their goals in any way possible.”

The Stars hosted a kids’ clinic on December 1. For $20, children received a t-shirt, dinner, and learned a dance from their idols, which they performed at Deep in the Heart of Christmas. Despite the excitement and happiness that came with the show, an underlying feeling of sadness remained.

“It didn’t really hit me that it was my last show until I was on stage dancing,” Puente said. “I’m so thankful for these girls because they made it a great last show for me.”

After three years, senior Stars must prepare to say goodbye. Stars still have to conquer contest season and Stellar Revue. It will all be over on May 18, 2018, the date of their final show.

“Deep in the Heart of Christmas is bittersweet, fun, and heartwarming,” Puente said. “I love dancing with all my sisters.”