The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

2017 Teen Book Convention

April 25, 2017

Author Tim Wynne-Jones, engages the audience in open forum discussion after reading an excerpt from his new release,

Author Tim Wynne-Jones, engages the audience in open forum discussion after reading an excerpt from his new release, "The Emperor of Any Place."

Amazing authors and entertaining activities participated in the 2017 Greater Houston Area Teen Book Convention, allowing for an interesting experience.

Held on April 1st, this book convention took place at Alief Taylor High School. Schools from all around Southeast Texas and beyond took the trip to have a chance at seeing their favorite authors.

Keynote speaker and author of a newly released book “Strange the Dreamer”, Laini Taylor pumped up the crowd inside the auditorium, starting off the day with an assortment of witty remarks and useful advice.

After being released to the first events of the day, many of the TeenBookCon participants flocked to one of the five to six simultaneous panels, each with specific themes to appeal to different preferences.

For additional entertainment, there were stations set throughout the main hallway next to the auditorium. Students and teachers alike enjoyed booths set up for coloring, button making and removable tattoos.

Schools from as far as Lake Charles, Louisiana traveled to The Greater Houston Area’s book convention, buses packed full of eager readers, desperate to see the authors of a wide variety of genres and backgrounds.

During each discussion, there was a carefully selected theme among the authors present. In an open discussion, viewers were allowed to ask multiple questions after the authors had read a section of their newest releases that were available for purchase outside the cafeteria.

The 2017 TeenBookCon experience was packed full of friendly authors, interesting new releases on books and memories for both newcomers and returning participants. Next year’s book convention may even exceed past expectations as it grows in size and popularity with each passing year.