The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

Club Highlights: Interact

February 23, 2017

Interact+allows+for+students+to+improve+the+environment+through+community+service.+
Interact allows for students to improve the environment through community service.

Yearbook Staff

Yearbook Staff

Interact is an organization well known for its hands-on service work and compassion. One of the longest running clubs at school, members have dedicated themselves to improving their environment. Interact emphasizes the importance of community service and how every person is important and every opportunity should be about selfless service.

“I’d say that Interact’s mission statement is to carry out hands-on service within our community and internationally,” President Peyton Parchmont said. “Interact really stood out to me because of its international service work and how it places Service Above Self.”

The organization has been involved in multiple projects over the years such as Pie the Principals for Polio(Interact collected donations for polio eradication in other countries), the Happy Haunting room at the Civic Center with Beaumont Police Department and constant volunteer work with Some Other Place and the Giving Field. Interact shows the school how helping others can be inspiring and fun.

“My favorite [Interact] volunteering memory was working with the BPD Trick or Treat at the Civic Center,” Secretary Caroline Bridges said. “Each of the officers had to dress up as the Ghostbusters and we literally had to listen to the Ghostbusters theme for over three and half hours but it was worth it!”

Through volunteer work, Interact has truly impacted the lives of many people whether it be on a local level such as work with Some Other Place or on an international level such as the annual Honduran School supply Drive. The Honduran School Supply Drive is a yearly volunteer opportunity that benefits a Honduran school that the club adopted. The club collects donations school wide—everything from crayons to folders—then separates them into school care packages to send to students in Honduras.

“We’re really excited about [the school supply drive],” Parchmont said. “It’s been truly eye-opening to serve our community and those internationally as well. I love seeing how the drive impacts [Honduran] students. ”