The School Newspaper of West Brook High School

Club Highlights: Bruin Bearers

February 9, 2017

Rather than just football games, Bruin Bearers participate in a variety of activities across campus.

Yearbook Staff

Yearbook Staff

Bruin Bearers is an organization whose mission statement since 1982 is to spread school spirit while also emphasizing how the participation of everyone is crucial. The organization travels with football team to every game and proudly cheers them on by victoriously lifting Bruiser the Bruin whenever the team makes a touchdown. However, there is more to Bruin Bearers than just lifting a bear.

The organization works closely with the special education program and is involved in various events throughout the year such as the Buddy Walk, an event that every October celebrates Down Syndrome Awareness Month or through weekly events such as the famous Cookie Day—a day that has every student looking forward to seeing the special education kids’ working with Bruin Bearers to sell delicious cookies all over campus.

“We have lots of projects throughout the year,” Bruin Bearer Captain Tori Leger said. “We do all of the run-throughs for the football games but we also take the special education kids on field trips such as Christmas shopping.”

Inclusion is the foundation of which Bruin Bearers is built upon and is what makes the club unique amongst many other schools.

“Bruin Bearers stands out because it is such an inclusive group,” Leger said. “We want the kids to experience football games and be apart of school which is something most schools don’t do.”

Bruin Bearers mixes a variety of members of seniors and juniors from every background that come together at the beginning of every football season to broadcast school spirit, involvement of every student, and positivity—all while lifting a bear.